Tuesday, February 3, 2015

The ULTIMATE satisfaction

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the email almost 3 years ago. A name that I hadn't thought about in years; wonderful memories began flooding my mind. Every now and again, we teachers reminisce about students who touched our lives in one way or another. Students that bring a smile to our faces; students that overrun us with concern and worry; students that made a huge impact. Some that were distracted; some who were ambitious; some who mastered their multiplication facts to 12, some who used their fingers to add and subtract. Nonetheless, they were, and ARE, all of our students.

With that said, fast forward to me reading the following email on my laptop:

"I'm not sure if you remember me, but I was your 3rd grade student some years ago. I was              just wondering if you would have time to meet in the upcoming weeks to give your perspective on this online platform I've been developing, which works to get kids excited about reading. I hope you're doing well these days. I have very fond memories of your class. I also still have those books we wrote in your class, which truly are hysterical and fun to read." 

Not sure if anyone can really understand the feeling of "warm and fuzzy," but it enveloped me at that very moment. To be sought out and asked to advise a former student felt awesome. In the moment, it is often difficult to know just  how a student feels about you. The school year ebbs and flows; days pass; vacations come and go. Special events mark the calendar; report cards are written. But, who really knows what our students are thinking. I knew now how this particular student felt. Validation. Respect. Excitement.

1 comment:

  1. I am certain that many of your students, past and present, feel this way about you! Beautiful!!! Love and miss you- Sue Cohen

    ReplyDelete