Friday, April 17, 2015

It's been too long....


For Iris,

A friend reminded me that I haven't written a blog in a while. Life just got away with me. There are times in our lives when we just cannot make the time to do things for ourselves because we are too busy doing for others. That's been my life in a nutshell for the last 2 months. Coming to school each day has served as an escape. Seeing the smiles and hearing the voices of curiosity scurrying through hallways and in and out of classrooms has been seemingly soothing. Oddly enough. That's when you know you are living the dream. It may not be perfect, but it's where you belong. I know this is my field. I know this is what I'm good at. And, I know that I am always ready for new challenges if these challenges are going to enrich the lives of my students. By students, I mean, any age learners. Students can be plopped on a carpet square in a kindergarten class, and students can be lined up in rows behind me as I teach my next Zumba routine. Teaching and learning, learning and growing. This is my thing! Teachers, I challenge you to reflect on where you are in your careers. How do you feel when you get to school each day. Are you satisfied? Are you at peace? Are you struggling to find your place? Are there things you'd like to change? Is change possible? Are your students growing and learning before your eyes? These are the things I often ponder. It's exhausting to change, but at the same time, it's exhausting to stay the same. To get stuck in a rut. So as you move through your day today, think about where you are, and what you do. Think about what you'd like to be different and what you'd like to stay the same. I know for me, self reflection is extremely satisfying. It can be "icky" and unsettling, but in the end it's worth it. Inspire. Lead. Teach.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.

-William A. Ward 

1 comment: